Thursday 13 August 2009

The month summed up

Sorry about the lack of updates; I had writers block for a while and I've also had an exciting and busy month!

The brief overview is that my boyfriend came over from Luxembourg; I hadn't seen him for 3 weeks so I was missing him muchly. I cooked him a roast dinner on the first day and it almost failed disastrously, but in the end he had to help me cook it because he arrived 2 hours earlier than he said he would, I didn't have all the ingredients so had to borrow some off my mum and then I took forever to peel things so I needed his help lol... never doing a roast dinner again! haha.

I was over my grandma's (known as 'nan' in England... just so you American's don't think I am talking about a nanny lol) for the week looking after her house and dog while she went on holiday to Devon. I almost had a mental break down though because the dog did my head in because he poo'd on the carpet 3 times, and poor Philip ended up cleaning it up :( I feel so guilty about that!

The same day the dog poo'd on the carpet and caused us havvoc, we got our exam results! I did really well, I got a 2:1 (known as a Upper Second Class Honours) in law for the first year, and Philip got a 2:1 in music technology for his first year too. So that is good! :D That night, we got a little drunk on champagne and it was the most passionate night I have ever experienced, I think :P

Then we went on holiday to Inverness in Scotland. Despite the lack of money (which got me down a little because I was worrying all the time instead of relaxing), it was a fantastic holiday! We stayed in a really fancy bed and breakfast just outside of Inverness, in the middle of no where, so there were beautiful scenery. The service was really good; breakfast was extremely tasty, and our bedroom we really posh! :) We saw dolphins on the Moray Firth cruise... they came right up to the boat! It was perfect! :D That was probably the highlight of the holiday. We also took a cruise along the loch ness, which was really good but the winds were horrific and I felt like I was going to get blown over board lol! We went to a really fascinating ruined castle on the edge of the loch ness called Urquhart castle; I recommend it, if you ever go to that part of Scotland! We went to the victorian market which was pretty kool; it was basically a shopping mall that was made in the victorian times and it still looks very much victorian with lots of little shops. We went to Cawdor castle which was where Shakespeare's play 'Macbeth' was set. The inside was OK, but it was annoying because we couldn't touch anything and they even had censors so that if you touched anything an alarm would go off (we found out this when Philip leant over the barrier to find out if some fake fruit was real and got told off! LOL!). The gardens and forest surrounding Cawdor castle was beautiful though; absolutely stunning, and there was even a red river flowing alongside it which was really pretty :). We also learnt a lot about the history of the last battle which took place on British school, near Inverness; we went to Culloden Battlefield (where the last battle took place over 200 years ago), and Fort George - an amazing fort built to protect against any future uprising. Fort George was absolutely massive, but it was terribly winding and I can't imagine it ever being warm there because it is extremely high up and surrounded by water - so if you ever go, wear a coat and a hat! Culloden Battlefield was interesting, but what was particularly interesting was the new visitor centre which told you everything you needed to know about the battle in a lot of detail; they had a little museum in there, a video room where it made you feel like you were actually in the battle etc. We also took a walk along Caledonian Canal, the River Ness up to the Ness islands (which were beautiful and a really lovely walk) and we went into the Inverness Museum. The museum is worth a visit as there were lots of stuffed animals like otters, wolves, badgers and it was really fascinating. We were also lucky enough to be in Inverness during the annual Highland games, where there were people playing the bagpipes, scottish dance competitions, basque sports and dances, birds of prey were bought in and we actually got to stroke them! Not to mention caber tossing! Overall it was an action packed holiday and both me and Philip thoroughly enjoyed it.

After that we came back to my house and we weren't quite sure what to do with ourselves. We ended up building a 1000 piece puzzle (with the help of my mum) which took us several hours! We played some board games, went for a trip to the lakes on a nice sunny day, had dinner at my nans a few times (my cousins came down to visit and so Philip had a chance to meet them) and we also watched a few episodes of Planet Earth. But the most exciting bit of this week, for me, was that me and Philip started writing a song about my heart operation, which Philip will eventually record once it is finished (hes the musician, not me! haha I am just the subject of the song lol).

When Philip left, I went clubbing with some friends (Justine and Grace and several of Grace's friends) which was really fun. I got all my drinks bought for me (I got bought about 15 drinks that night, not to mention the ones at Grace's and Martin's!), and we even got into the VIP lounge due to Grace's sexy clubbing dress LOL! The only downside is that after being in a club full of about 1000 people, I ended up contracting swine flu and was virtually bed ridden for 6 days after that! I am now recovered, though I wouldn't say fully because I still have a cough and a snivelly nose but I am LOADS better than I was!

So as you can see it has been a very busy month and here are just a few pictures of the events!



Left: Drummers and bagpipe players at the Highland games in Inverness
Right: An owl at the Highland games in Inverness




Left: Caledonian Canal
Right: Ness islands along the River Ness




Left: a section of Fort George
Right: the bed and breakfast me and Philip were staying in, it was 5* and called Daviot Lodge


Left: The views from Loch ness, including the side of Urquhart castle
Right: inside Urquhart castle ruins



Left: Philip next to the red river which flows alongside Cawdor castle
Right: Cawdor castle behind lots of flowers from their beautiful gardens!

My footage from Moray Firth cruises of the dolphins:

No comments:

Post a Comment